Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
You can make Cajun Peanut Butter by omitting the egg white and follow the recipe as directed. Puree the cooled peanuts to desired consistency in a food processor, approximately 1 minute for a smooth peanut butter, less time for chunky. This can be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container. Remember there is a short shelf life because there are no preservatives.
- 1 lb shelled raw peanuts
- 1⁄4 egg white
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Combine the peanuts and egg white in a large bowl.
- Sprinkle the peanuts with the remaining ingredients, mixing well.
- Lay the seasoned peanuts in a single layer on a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper and cook preheated oven until the brown sugar on the peanuts forms little crystals, about 15 minutes, watch closely to make sure they don't burn.
- Remove the peanuts from the oven, separate, and cool.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 2 or 3 weeks.
flavorless and barely spicy. I first followed the recipe exactly, then added A LOT more salt, then had to add WAY more cayenne pepper and even some chipotle powder, and STILL was very disappointed. If you like spicy food at all, you will definitely think these need WAY more heat. The egg white was a nice trick though, worked very nicely in keeping all the peanuts coated in the spice mix...just needed a better spice mix! Will try this technique again, but definitely make up my own spice mixture.
I didn't use the egg, but it was just too much pepper for me.