Recipe by gailanng
Two directions included: grilled and cast iron. Serve these onions with steaks or pork chops as an alternative to fried onions. For a low-cholesterol version, substitute 2 tablespoons of olive oil for the butter.
Top Review by mersaydees
Made these as directed with large sweet onions in the cast iron skillet and they are GREAT! They are perfect with steak, pork chops, or chicken. Thanks, gailanng. Made for Aussie Kiwi Recipe Swap.
- 3 large onions, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1 heavy-duty aluminum foil, cut 12-inch by 24-inch
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened (1 stick)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon freshly-ground white pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the onion slices in the center of the foil. Combine the remaining ingredients and stir until well combined. Dot the onions with the seasoned butter and wrap in foil, folding the edges over twice and sealing ends. Place the packets on a hot grill for 3 to 5 minutes on each side; move them to low heat for 10 minutes longer.
- These onions can also be cooked in a cast-iron skillet. Melt the butter in a skillet and stir in the spices. Add the onions and cook until the onions are limp.