Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a terrific-easy and scrumptious comfort food.
- 6 -7 large fresh tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can lima beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can black-eyed peas
- 1 cup chopped fresh okra
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon cajun seasoning
- salt & pepper
- 1 -2 teaspoon olive oil
- Heat olive oil in a large stew pot.
- Add chopped onions and garlic and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add chopped tomatoes, lima beans, blackeye peas and cajun seasoning.
- Bring to a boil, stir well.
- Reduce heat and simmer on low 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- If the stew gets too thick add water as needed.
- Add chopped okra, stir well.
- Simmer another 15 minutes.
- Serve over rice.
Delicious. Like you, MichelleinHI, I'm veggie but husband's not, and he really loved this, even with the "missing meat"!
this is a tasty combo. i had to use frozen sliced okra, as the availability of fresh okra here is spotty. for our tastes, i added more cajun seasoning (i used my recipe #210283). also, we had this without rice as a side dish to some grilled chicken. i see this as a versatile base upon which you can build other tasty variations. next time i might add any or all of the following: green pepper, corn, even garlic sausage, although it would no longer be a vegetarian that way. as a matter of fact, i added a few slices of sausage to some of the leftovers and that is today's lunch! yum!