Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 40 mins
A vegetarian loaf that even meateaters will love! Adapted from Partyline with the Hearty Boys.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 1⁄2 lbs sliced mushrooms
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 tablespoon cajun seasoning
- 1⁄2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- Preheat the oven to 350*F.
- Put the butter into a 4-quart pot and place over medium heat. When butter has melted, add onion, garlic and thyme sprigs. Saute until translucent, about 10 minutes. Add the mushrooms to the pot, stir, and raise the heat a little. Cook the mixture until the liquid has cooked off, about 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Meanwhile, crack the eggs into a large bowl and whisk well. Add the cream, parsley and Cajun seasoning and whisk to combine. Add the mushroom mixture one serving spoonful at a time to temper the egg mixture, stirring well after each addition. Add the breadcrumbs and stir well.
- Spray the loaf pan with cooking spray, line with wax(or parchment) paper, and pour the mixture into the pan. Set in a large roasting pan and fill the pan with water halfway up the loaf pan. Place into the top half of the oven and bake until the center is set, about 60-70 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool 15 minutes before turning out onto a plate to slice.
This was a very nice loaf,I used milk in place of the cream. thanks for sharing
This recipe turned out great! I did make some changes to fit into our Thanksgiving menu a little better , but look forward to making it according to the original recipe soon. I used poultry seasoning, a little cayenne and adobo seasoning. Tasted so good! Next time I'm going to try to lighten it up a bit by using less butter and milk instead of cream, but I wasn't paying attention to calories today and this recipe was a great addition to our holiday meal. Thanks for posting!
Delicious! Even DH surprised himself by enjoying it so much! Good consistency, easy to make, flavorful, we will be having this again. Served with Smashed Roots and Tubers With Chevre for a lovely autumn meal.