Tired of the same old meatloaf? Try this one.
Make and share this Cajun Meatloaf recipe from Food.com.
- 2 whole bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 1⁄2 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped bell pepper
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green onion
- 12 teaspoons of minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb ground pork
- 2 eggs, lighthy beaten
- 1 cup very fine dry breadcrumb
- combine the seasoning mix ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- melt the butter in 1 quart saucepan over medium heat.
- add the onions, celery, bell pepper, green onions, garlic, tabasco, worcestershire and seasoning mix.
- saute until mixture starts sticking excessively, about 6 mins, stirring occasionally and scraping the pan bottom well.
- stir in the milk and 1/2 cup catsup.
- continue cooking for about 2 mins, stirring occasionally.
- remove from the heat and allow mixture to cool to room temperature.
- place the ground beef and pork in an ungreased 13 x 9 inch baking pan.
- add the eggs, the cooked vegetable mixture removing the bay leaves, the bread crumbs.
- mix by hand until thoroughly combined in the center of the pan -- shape the mixture into a loaf that is about 1 1/2 inches high x 6 inches wide and 12 inches long.
- bake uncovered at 350 for 25 minutes, then raise heat to 400 and continue cooking until done, about 35 minutes longer.
- serve immediately,.