Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Tired of the same old meatloaf? Try this one.
- 2 whole bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 1⁄2 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped bell pepper
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green onion
- 12 teaspoons of minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb ground pork
- 2 eggs, lighthy beaten
- 1 cup very fine dry breadcrumb
- combine the seasoning mix ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- melt the butter in 1 quart saucepan over medium heat.
- add the onions, celery, bell pepper, green onions, garlic, tabasco, worcestershire and seasoning mix.
- saute until mixture starts sticking excessively, about 6 mins, stirring occasionally and scraping the pan bottom well.
- stir in the milk and 1/2 cup catsup.
- continue cooking for about 2 mins, stirring occasionally.
- remove from the heat and allow mixture to cool to room temperature.
- place the ground beef and pork in an ungreased 13 x 9 inch baking pan.
- add the eggs, the cooked vegetable mixture removing the bay leaves, the bread crumbs.
- mix by hand until thoroughly combined in the center of the pan -- shape the mixture into a loaf that is about 1 1/2 inches high x 6 inches wide and 12 inches long.
- bake uncovered at 350 for 25 minutes, then raise heat to 400 and continue cooking until done, about 35 minutes longer.
- serve immediately,.
If you are looking for a moist, very flavorful meatloaf, this is it!! We really enjoyed the bit of sweetness ( but not TOO sweet) plus all the spices this has. I tasted the vegetables after I had added the cayenne and thought,"This is extremely too hot!", but once it had been mixed in with the meat and baked, it turned out to be the PERFECT amt. of cayenne. I added every ingredient listed and left nothing out. It is GREAT just the way it is- thank you so much!!!