Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe comes from the issue of October 2006 from Coup de Pouce. Something I want to try soon :P
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon cajun seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup corn kernel
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups corn chips, roughly crushed
- 1⁄2 cup salsa
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 lb ground lean pork
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- In a skillet, heat oil at medium heat. Add garlic, onion, carrot, red bell pepper, cajun seasoning, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring from time to time, for about 5 minutes or until onion has soften. Add corn and keep cooking 2 minutes. Let cool a little bit.
- In a big bowl, mix egg, corn chips, salsa, water, beef and pork, and mixture of veggies. Put the mixture on a baking sheet with foil paper and shape in a loaf of 9 x 5 inch. Cook in a preheated oven of 350 F for 1 hour 20 minutes. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese and keep cooking for about 10 minutes or until internal temperature reads 170°F Let stand the meatloaf for 5 minutes. Remove the fat from the meatloaf, then sprinkle with parsley.
This is delicious meatloaf! What a great change from the usual. I like the spiciness. Thanks for sharing! Made for Gimme 5 tag.
Loved this meatloaf - so moist and flavorful! I left out the onions and used extra red bell pepper instead. All those veggies were great in this and went well with the cajun spice and salsa. Looking forward to meatloaf sandwiches for lunch tomorrow :) thanks for posting this recipe!
We really liked this meatloaf :)Following the other 2 reviewers, I added 1 small can of rotel to the mix for additional moisture ~ this seemed to work fine. I used a beef and ground chicken mixture as we don't eat port much. Very tasty variation on a family favorite. I served with pinto beans and rice! Thanks Boomette for a new keeper. Made for POTLUCK TAG, Feb 2009.