Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
NOT your ordinary meatloaf!
Make and share this Cajun Meatloaf recipe from Food.com.
- 4 ounces onions, diced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 ounces low sodium chicken broth
- 4 ounces roasted red peppers, canned,no oil,diced
- 2 ounces tomato paste
- 4 fluid ounces low-sodium chili sauce, bottled
- 2 tablespoons cajun seasoning
- 1⁄2 lb lean beef, ground
- 1⁄2 lb lean veal or 1⁄2 lb lamb, ground
- 1⁄2 lb pork tenderloin, ground
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 8 ounces breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Sauté onion and garlic in chicken broth until soft.
- Stir in red peppers, tomato paste, chili sauce, and Cajun spices.
- Cook on low heat for 10 minutes.
- Cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, combine ground meats, sautéed onion mixture, and Worcestershire sauce.
- Add the bread crumbs, form into a loaf shape and place into ungreased 3½ô by 8ô loaf pan.
- Brush with 2 tablespoons of chili sauce.
- Bake until cooked through for 40 to 50 minutes.
- Cool before cutting into 8 slices.
We ate this tasty meatloaf tonight for dinner and really enjoyed the combination of spicy flavours. Although we cooked it at the temp suggested, we found that the top had burned quite badly with the chilli sauce glaze. Next time, I will reduce the heat and cover it loosely with aluminium foil. We served this with minted natural yoghurt on the side.
This was very tasty and good. I did make a couple of changes. I don't eat pork or veal, so I used 1 1/2 lbs of ground sirloin. Also, I did not have the roasted red peppers on hand and did not have time to run to the store, so I used red bell pepper which worked in this recipe quite well. Next time, I might add a bit of cayenne pepper for a bit more of a kick - not that it needed it, I just like things very spicy! All in all, a very nice change from your regular meatloaf.