Recipe by Hallie&Colton'sMoma
Rachael's take on a less carb Jambalaya. She says this is a Jumble that's a lot like Jambalaya. Enjoy! Note from Rachael: Okra not your thing? Substitute frozen defrosted French-cut green beans.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 lb andouille sausage, sliced on an angle into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 2 lbs chicken tenders, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced
- 3 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 green pepper, quartered, then sliced into thin strips
- 1 red bell pepper, quartered, then sliced into thin strips
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 1⁄4 cup hot sauce
- 1 lb medium raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 8 ounces frozen okra, defrosted
- 1⁄4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 4 scallions, green and white parts, thinly sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat a large, deep skillet over high heat with the vegetable oil.
- Add the andouille sausage and brown for 2 to 3 minutes. Move the andouille sausage to one side of the pan and add the chicken tenders. Season the meat with salt and pepper. Continue to cook for another 3 minutes, and until the chicken starts to brown.
- Stir to combine the chicken with the andouille sausage, then add the onion, garlic, celery, green and red bell peppers, and thyme sprigs. Cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock, tomato sauce, and hot sauce and bring up to a boil.
- Add the shrimp and okra, cover the pot, and simmer for 5 minutes or until the shrimp are firm and pink. Uncover the stoup and stir.
- Turn the heat off, stir in the parsley and scallions, and serve.