1/1 Photo of Cajun Jambalaya Soup
Mama D's Note:
I based this recipe on a Cajun Jambalaya recipe that I love. No tomato is one of the things that makes this Cajun. As with it's Creole cousin it features the "Trinity", onion, celery and green bell pepper. It can be made as hot as you like by using more Cayenne or Tabasco sauce. The Ritz crackers may seem like an odd pairing but, the buttery, salty flavor enhances the flavor of this dish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon cajun seasoning, divided
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut in bite size pieces
- 1 lb andouille sausage, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 1 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 5 -6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1/2 lb smoked ham
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 1/2 cup rice
- Tabasco sauce, to taste
- 12 Ritz crackers, crushed
- 1Heat the oil in a large soup pot over medium high heat. Season the thigh pieces with 1/2 tsp Cajun Seasoning. Add to the pot and cook, stirring occasionally until meat is lightly browned 5 minutes or so. Remove the chicken to a plate.
- 2Add the sausage to the pot. Cook stirring occasionally until lightly browned. Remove from pan and put on plate with the chicken.
- 3Remove all but 2 tablespoons of the drippings. Add the onions, green peppers, and celery. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- 4Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes more. Add the vegetable stock and stir to loosen any brown bits. Add the chicken stock and stir to combine.
- 5Add the ham, the rest of the Cajun Seasoning, and the ground peppers. Bring to a boil and immediately reduce the heat to simmer.
- 6Add the chicken and sausage back into the pot along with any accumulated juices. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- 7Add the rice and cook for 15 minutes once the soup returns to a simmer.
- 8Add Tabasco Sauce to taste.
- 9Serve in bowls garnished with the crushed Ritz Crackers.
Browse Our Top < 60 Mins Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All < 60 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cajun Jambalaya Soup
Serving Size: 1 (498 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 946.7
- Calories from Fat 460
- Total Fat 51.1 g
- Saturated Fat 15.9 g
- Cholesterol 205.3 mg
- Sodium 2904.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 10.3 g
- Protein 67.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: