Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
My first time making Jambalaya and my family absolutely loved it. I researched the Cajuns on wikipedia and came up with this recipe. It utilizes what they had available at the time. Enjoy!
- 1 lb chicken
- 1 lb andouille sausage
- 2 lbs shrimp (whole)
- 6 ears corn
- 2 green peppers, diced
- 2 onions, chopped diced
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 3 cups tomato sauce
- 12 cups chicken stock (homemade see recipe)
- 4 tablespoons cajun spices
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 4 cups rice (uncooked)
- Bring large pot of water to boil and add corn.
- Cook for 15 minutes
- Reserve water.
- Using same water boil chicken 20 minutes
- Reserve water for stock.
- With a sharp knife scrape corn off the cob.
- Remove chicken from the bone and dice.
- Put tomato sauce, chicken, sausage, all veggies, 4 cups reserved chicken stock, evaporated milk and spices in a pot.
- Bring to a boil and simmer 40 minutes.
- Place rice in 8 cups reserved chicken and corn stock (add water if needed) and bring to boil and simmer 20 minutes.
- Add whole shrimp and simmer 10 minutes.
- Serve over rice.