Recipe by Lande Hoffman
This recipe came from taste testing poppers all over. I combined what I liked and discarded the rest. You can use fresh peppers or prepackaged peppers (not recommended,to soft). If I use fresh, I sometimes like to slice them in half, leaving the stem, de-vein and seed them and saute' them in my favorite beer to soften them up just a little (2-4 minutes). Another tip is to always use protective cooking gloves when dealing with peppers.
Top Review by whtbxrmom
I made these for dinner tonight. I used low fat cream cheese, the optional cilantro and the optional mushrooms. I used 9 jalapeno and 9 mini sweet peppers because we have some members of our family who can not stomach hot things. I also reduced the cayenne pepper to one pinch. I wanted to make sure that it had flavor but not heat. I didn't have the called for bread crumbs so I used a mix of panko and fresh ground Italian seasoning. While they took longer to cook than called for, they were a success. We served them with some hickory smoked Sloppy Joe's. Yum!
- 18 fresh fresh jalapeno peppers
- 6 ounces cream cheese
- 3 ounces of shredded cheese (cheese of your choice or any mixture, I use 2 or more of the following parmesan, cheddar, colby, ric)
- progresso breadcrumbs
- 1 clove pressed garlic
- 1⁄2 ounce olive oil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped green onions
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chopped cilantro (optional)
- 12 slices pimientos, finely chopped
- 3 pinches cayenne pepper (1tablespoon or to taste)
- 1 ounce finely chopped mushroom (optional)
- 2 -3 ounces of finely chopped cooked meat (crawfish,ground meat or sausage) (optional)
- queso sauce (optional)
- sour cream (optional)
- picante sauce (optional)
- ranch dressing (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Halve the jalapenos leaving the stem attached, de-vein and seed them.
- Setting the halved jalapenos and bread crumbs aside, mix all of the other ingredients together.
- Take your mixture and completely fill the jalepeno cavities to their brim and set aside.
- Put bread crumbs on a flat plate.
- Take jalapeno halves, one at a time, and roll cheese side only in bread crumbs and place cheese/crumb side up on a baking pan Once completed if you like a thick crumb layer, you can repeat this step.
- If you do not intend to bake finished product skip the rolling part and just lightly sprinkle the top of the jalepenos with the bread crumbs.
- Bake at 350 for 15 minutes or until mixture starts to bubble.
- I like to refrigerate at least 1 hour prior to baking Sometimes I prepare the day before, cover and refrigerate.
- Serve warm, room temperature or chilled with any or all of the recommended sauces.