1/1 Photo of Cajun Hush Puppies
Baby Kato's Note:
This recipe has been submitted for play in ZWT9 – Cajun/Creole. This recipe is from cookbook Cajun Cooking by Better Homes and Gardens. It is said that early settlers hushed their barking dogs by tossing them these bready little morsels. I know I'd stop barking for a few of these....Yum!!
My Private Note
hush pu ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup buttermilk or 1/2 cup sour milk
- 1/4 cup green onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- vegetable oil, for deep frying or vegetable shortening
- 1In a small mixing bowl stir the egg, buttermilk, green onions and water together.
- 2In a medium bowl combine the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and pepper.
- 3Add the egg mixture to dry ingredients, stirring until just moistened.
- 4In a heavy saucepan or deep fryer, heat abut 2 inches of oil or shortening to 375 degrees.
- 5Drop batter by tablespoons into hot fat.
- 6Fry a few at a time, for 2 minutes, turning once.
- 7Drain on paper towels, keep warm in a 325 degree oven until they are all fried.
Browse Our Top < 60 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cajun Hush Puppies
Serving Size: 1 (370 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 37.8
- Calories from Fat 4
- Total Fat 0.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 10.6 mg
- Sodium 67.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 1.8 g
- Protein 1.2 g