Recipe by tonialikes2cook
This recipe makes alot which is why i like it you can feed a crowd or freeze some for the next time. the gumbo has a bit of a kick, you can adjust it anyway you like. enjoy! **the gumbo base is hard to find where i live so i often have to sub. a roux....to make the roux brown 3 lg cooking spoons of flour in cooking oil(kitchen bouquet can be added to darken the roux)this will be the first thing you will add to the stock
Top Review by asimplegirl
Cajuns do not use gumbo base, do not use kielbasa, would never put a tomato in a gumbo (you are thinking creole), would never stick okra in it, and crab boil is to boil seafood, not for gumbo!!
- 12 cups water
- 1 roasting chickens or 3 -4 lbs chicken pieces
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 links smoked kielbasa or 3 links polish hot sausage
- 3 links smoked kielbasa or 3 links polish mild sausage
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 cup diced white onion
- 2 green bell peppers (i often leave these out)
- 4 stalks celery, diced
- 1 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 head fresh garlic, chopped
- 1 (6 ounce) box Zatarians gumbo base mix
- 5 (14 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons dried onion
- 4 -5 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon all seasoning salt
- 1 (8 ounce) bag frozen okra
- 2 lbs peeledand devained shrimp
- crabmeat (i like to use the 2 cans of claw meat)
- 1 teaspoon cajun land crab boil
- 1 teaspoon gumbo file
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the chicken in the 12c of water adding the salt cayenne peper and black pepper. boil or simmer until it is tender. approximately 1 hour.
- remove the chicken from the stock let cool til you can handle. discard the skin and bones. add the chicken back to the pot you now have your stock.
- meanwhile cut up the linkes of sausage or kielbasa. then place on a cookie sheet and bake at 350* until the excess grease is removed.
- in a large fry pan melt the stick of butter add the onions, peppers, celery, garlic, and parsley.
- add the gumbo base to the stock or the roux.
- add the sauted veggies.
- drain any excess fat from the sausage and add it to the stock.
- add the canned tomatoes.
- add the dried seasonings.
- add okra and let the stock simmer for 30-35 minutes or until the okra is tender.
- add the shrimp and crab meat.
- then the boil and file.
- let the gumbo simmer for 45 minuted.
- serve alone or over rice enjoy!