Prep 0 mins
Cook 25 mins
seafood taste without the seafood but uses sea veggies instead. Note to Ornish exclude the oil and use a bit of Braggs instead.
- 1⁄2 lb okra, thinly sliced
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 4 drops dark sesame oil
- 3 cups water or 3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 cup tomatoes
- 1 sheet fresh seaweed, kombu, 8 X 10 cut in 1-inch squares
- 1⁄2 cup wakame seaweed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot pepper (cayenne powder or any hot sauce)
- NOTE the computer doesn't understand Kombu. so Fresh Seedweed should be Kombu instead.
- Soak seaweeds in hot water or veggie broth and set aside.
- In small amount of water or veggie broth, saute okra, onion, pepper and garlic over medium heat until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Make a roux with the flour and oil by blending until well mixed and cooking over a medium heat until brown (but not black), about 10 minutes.
- Add liquid from seaweed very slowly, mixing to remove any lumps and simmer. Add seaweed, bay leaves, thyme and hot pepper until mixed. Add tomatoes, combine with cooked okra and simmer 5 minutes. Remove bay leaves and serve.
I don't like seaweed but this gumbo tastes great. It's easy to make and the texture is perfect.