1/1 Photo of Cajun Green Bean Casserole
1 hr 30 mins
I got this green bean casserole from a cajun cookbook. It takes a little bit longer to prepare than traditional green bean casseroles but is well worth it!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 slices thick-sliced bacon, cut into pieces
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 lbs green beans
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 pinch of grated nutmeg
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups grated white cheddar cheese
- 4 cups chicken broth, more as needed
- salt and pepper
- 2 (6 ounce) cans fried onions
- 1Heat the bacon in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat until lightly browned and tender. Add 1 onion (chopped) and saute' until tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Add the garlic and saute' a few more minutes.
- 2Add the green beans and enough broth or water to just cover, bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low, and simmer, covered for 25 to 35 minutes, until beans are tender and have melted into the cooking liquid. Season the beans generously with salt and pepper.
- 3Strain the cooking liquid from the beans and reserve (you should have about 2 1/2 cups).
- 4Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- 5Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add the rest of the chopped onion, salt, and nutmeg and cook, stirring, until very soft, 6 to 8 minutes. Add the flour and stir until incorporated.
- 6Stir in the cream and reserved bean cooking liquid and cook, stirring, until the sauce is thick enough to fall slowly from a spoon, 5 to 7 minutes.
- 7Stir in the cheese, then add green beans and toss until combined.
- 8Transfer mixture to 9X13 baking dish and bake until casserole is hot and bubbly around edges, about 25 minutes. Top with fried onions and cook an additional 10 - 15 minutes.
- 9Remove from oven and cool slightly before serving.
Browse Our Top Green/Yellow Beans Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Green/Yellow Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cajun Green Bean Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (368 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 438.8
- Calories from Fat 269
- Total Fat 29.9 g
- Saturated Fat 17.5 g
- Cholesterol 85.7 mg
- Sodium 837.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.8 g
- Sugars 9.1 g
- Protein 18.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: