Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This recipe has been submitted for play in ZWT9 – Cajun/Creole. This recipe is from cookbook: More HeartSmart Cooking With Bonnie Stern. This glaze is pretty spicy, it really wakes up the ham. Lovely meal served with rice and peas, sweet potatoes and greens. Enjoy!
- 4 lbs cooked boneless ham
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 4 jalapenos, seeded and chopped (you may use less)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons grainy mustard or 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne or 1⁄2 teaspoon hot red pepper sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Trim ham of all fat and pierce ham all over and score surface.
- In a small bowl combine brown sugar, jalapenos, garlic, vinegar, mustard, paprike, pepper, cayenne, thyme and oregano.
- Place ham on foil-lined baking sheet and spread 1/3 of the glaze over ham.
- Bake in a preheated oven 350 F for 20 minutes.
- Baste with 1/3 of the remaining glaze and bake for another 20 minutes.
- Repeat, total cooking time should be 1 to 1 1/2 hours . Baste often.
- Allow to rest 15 minutes before carving.