3 hrs 30 mins
I love this recipe, it's my combination of two recipes, southern fried chicken and cajun chicken. I love it and I hope you do too.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 frying chicken or 6 chicken breasts or 6 chicken legs
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon creole seasoning, plus extra for sprinkling
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 pinch cayenne, pepper- optional (for heat)
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce (I perfer Louisiana)
- 4 cups vegetable oil (for frying)
- 1Rinse and pat dry chicken pieces with a paper towel.
- 2Cut breast pieces in half across ribs.
- 3Soak Mixture: place enough buttermilk to completely submerge chicken pieces, add 1 tablespoons of hot sauce & whisk together.
- 4Soak chicken in Buttermilk and hot sauce mixture at least 3 hours in the refrigerator.
- 5Heat oil in a large deep pot to 350°F DO NOT FILL POT MORE THEN HALF FULL WITH OIL.
- 6Flour Mixture:In a Ziploc bag, combine 1 cup flour, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, a pinch of cayenne pepper,1/2 teaspoon paprika and 1/2 teaspoon Creole seasoning. Close bag and mix well.
- 7Pat chicken dry with a clean paper towel and sprinkle with garlic powder and Creole seasoning.
- 8One piece at a time, Place chicken in inside ziploc bag flour mixture.
- 9Shake coated chicken over bag to get rid of excess coating.
- 10Drop the coated chicken into hot oil.
- 11Don't place too many chicken pieces, Cook 3 to 4 at a time.
- 12Fry chicken until brown and crisp.
- 13Drain on paper towel.
- 14Note: Dark meat will take about 14 minutes, white meat about 10 minutes. Smaller pieces cook faster than the larger ones, You can check by piercing to the bone in the thickest part with a fork. If the juices run clear, it is done.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cajun Fried Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (412 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1724.5
- Calories from Fat 1524
- Total Fat 169.4 g
- Saturated Fat 25.9 g
- Cholesterol 118.2 mg
- Sodium 255.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 33.4 g