Prep 25 mins
Cook 35 mins
I used to make with chicken gizzards but now it is ground chicken and toned down quite a bit. Kids like refried beans. You can add veges you like and eliminate the ones you don't like. This can be made ahead and frozen. Any type smoked sausage can be used.
- 2 (16 ounce) cans pinto beans, with juice
- 1 (16 ounce) can red beans, with juice
- 1 (15 ounce) can Rotel Tomatoes, drained, save juice
- 2 tablespoons margarine or 2 tablespoons lard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce (optional)
- 2 tablespoons instant mashed potatoes
- Pam cooking spray
- 10 slices bacon or 10 slices turkey bacon, diced
- 1 lb smoked sausage, diced
- 1 lb cooked chicken, diced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (optional)
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 green peppers, cored, seeded and diced
- 1 red pepper, cored seeded and diced
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed and diced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons flour or 1 1⁄2 tablespoons rice flour
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 cups hot water
- 2 teaspoons sysco chicken base
- 2 cups raw white rice
- 1 teaspoon salt or 1 teaspoon salt substitute
- 2 tablespoons flour or 2 tablespoons rice flour
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 2 cups shredded cheese (optional)
- In large mixing bowl, add beans with juice, drained tomatoes,margarine,salt,cumin, dry mustard and optional Tabasco sauce.
- Mash and beat until beans are mush. Then add instant potato flakes and mix in with a spoon. The mashed beans & tomatoes should be spreadable and not juicy. If they are, add 1 tsp potato flakes to the mixture.
- Spray Pam into two deep dish pie pans.
- Divide mixture between the two pans.
- Spread with back of spoon and press against the sides forming a pie crust in both pans; set aside.
- In large deep frying pan add the following:
- 10 slices of bacon, smoked sausage, chicken, onion. If turkey bacon is used and there is no fat or grease, add the vegetable oil. Do not add the oil if regular bacon is used.
- Stir on medium heat until all is browned.
- Add chopped peppers, thyme, celery seed, garlic. Stir until mixed and slightly sautéed.
- Add flour and mix for a roux.
- Add saved tomato juice.
- Add hot water, chicken base, bay leaves, and salt. Stir.
- Add 2 cups rice. Mix in and cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- White rice is cooking, preheat oven 425°F.
- Place the pie crusts in oven and bake 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Turn oven to 375°F.
- Remove bay leaves.
- In small bowl, whisk together flour and milk. Stir into the rice mixture quickly and blend.
- Pile the meat,vegetable rice mixture into the pie pans.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Set aside for 10 minutes to set.
- Cut in 8 wedges per pie. Serve each slice with shredded cheese if desired.
- Note: If you make ahead and freeze, bake bean crust first and then fill and freeze.
- Allow extra 10 to 15 minutes oven time.
We all ate it and my six year old son had fun helping mush the beans for the crust. We did use the livers and gizzards in the dirty rice, because he loves it that way (Yep!). However, I am sure if it was worth the extra work compared to regular dirty rice. I think I'd like to try a version of this in which the beans aren't mushed so much but still had something to bind them together to serve as a crust.