Montana Heart Song's Note:
I used to make with chicken gizzards but now it is ground chicken and toned down quite a bit. Kids like refried beans. You can add veges you like and eliminate the ones you don't like. This can be made ahead and frozen. Any type smoked sausage can be used.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (16 ounce) cans pinto beans, with juice
- 1 (16 ounce) can red beans, with juice
- 1 (15 ounce) can Rotel Tomatoes, drained, save juice
- 2 tablespoons margarine or 2 tablespoons lard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce (optional)
- 2 tablespoons instant mashed potatoes
- Pam cooking spray
- 10 slices bacon or 10 slices turkey bacon, diced
- 1 lb smoked sausage, diced
- 1 lb cooked chicken, diced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (optional)
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 green peppers, cored, seeded and diced
- 1 red pepper, cored seeded and diced
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed and diced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons flour or 1 1/2 tablespoons rice flour
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 cups hot water
- 2 teaspoons sysco chicken base
- 2 cups raw white rice
- 1 teaspoon salt or 1 teaspoon salt substitute
- 2 tablespoons flour or 2 tablespoons rice flour
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 cups shredded cheese (optional)
- 1In large mixing bowl, add beans with juice, drained tomatoes,margarine,salt,cumin, dry mustard and optional Tabasco sauce.
- 2Mash and beat until beans are mush. Then add instant potato flakes and mix in with a spoon. The mashed beans & tomatoes should be spreadable and not juicy. If they are, add 1 tsp potato flakes to the mixture.
- 3Spray Pam into two deep dish pie pans.
- 4Divide mixture between the two pans.
- 5Spread with back of spoon and press against the sides forming a pie crust in both pans; set aside.
- 6In large deep frying pan add the following:
- 710 slices of bacon, smoked sausage, chicken, onion. If turkey bacon is used and there is no fat or grease, add the vegetable oil. Do not add the oil if regular bacon is used.
- 8Stir on medium heat until all is browned.
- 9Add chopped peppers, thyme, celery seed, garlic. Stir until mixed and slightly sautéed.
- 10Add flour and mix for a roux.
- 11Add saved tomato juice.
- 12Add hot water, chicken base, bay leaves, and salt. Stir.
- 13Add 2 cups rice. Mix in and cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- 14White rice is cooking, preheat oven 425°F.
- 15Place the pie crusts in oven and bake 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- 16Turn oven to 375°F.
- 17Remove bay leaves.
- 18In small bowl, whisk together flour and milk. Stir into the rice mixture quickly and blend.
- 19Pile the meat,vegetable rice mixture into the pie pans.
- 20Bake for 25 minutes. Set aside for 10 minutes to set.
- 21Cut in 8 wedges per pie. Serve each slice with shredded cheese if desired.
- 22Note: If you make ahead and freeze, bake bean crust first and then fill and freeze.
- 23Allow extra 10 to 15 minutes oven time.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cajun Dirty Rice & Red Bean Pies
Serving Size: 1 (318 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 401.7
- Calories from Fat 133
- Total Fat 14.8 g
- Saturated Fat 4.6 g
- Cholesterol 43.6 mg
- Sodium 726.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.1 g
- Sugars 1.5 g
- Protein 21.3 g