1 hr 30 mins
Caryn Dalton's Note:
I grew up in Louisiana and we had this at least once a week. Now, I only make it every now and then because I am watching my cholesterol. This recipe does not have as many livers and so the liver flavor is not overpowering as in some recipes. Just the way I like it. The secret to this recipe is using a variety of meats and cooking the gizzards for a good long time. Adopted from Louisiana Cajun Magic Cookbook by Chef Paul Prudhomme. This recipe requires active cooking (stirring) for a good 20-25 minutes. The rest of prep is chopping and ingredient prep time. Passive cook time is for the times the recipe needs minimal attention and is just simmering. We eat this both as a main dish and a side accompaniment.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 lb chicken gizzard, cooked and chopped fine
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon canola oil or 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 lb ground pork
- 2 tablespoons cajun magic poultry magic seasoning (or try copycat Prudhomme's Poultry Magic)
- 1 teaspoon cajun magic poultry magic seasoning (or try copycat Prudhomme's Poultry Magic)
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup uncooked rice (preferably converted)
- 2 cups basic chicken or 2 cups pork stock or 2 cups water
- 1/4 lb chicken livers, ground (1/2 cup, You can use less, but for authentic flavor, you need at least 1/4 cup) or 1/2 cup of roasted chicken (finely chopped) or 1/2 cup turkey (finely chopped) or 1/4-1/2 lb lean ground beef, browned
- 1Place chicken gizzards and bay leaves in a saucepan and cover with water to one inch above gizzards. Bring to a simmer and cook with cover on at least 30 minutes while chopping and preparing ingredients. When done preparing ingredients, drain gizzards, (reserve water if you want to use for part of stock) and chop fine.
- 2While gizzards are cooking, chop veggies and gather spices. I personally use my food processor to speed up the process of grinding the livers and chopping the veggies.
- 3If you are going to sub out the chicken livers for ground beef or ground turkey, brown it while browning the pork mixture and then reserve -- drained. If you are using roasted chicken, shred it now and reserve.
- 4Place oil, simmered, drained & chopped gizzards & ground pork in a large heavy skillet over high heat and stir well; cook until meat is thoroughly browned, 7-10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain all oil off and put back on burner.
- 5Lower heat to medium and stir in Poultry Magic, mustard and cumin. Then, add onion, celery, bell pepper and garlic; stir thoroughly, scraping pan bottom well. Add butter and stir until melted. Reduce heat to medium and cook 4 to 5 minutes, stirring constantly and scraping pan bottom well. (if you are not using a heavy-bottomed skillet, mixture will stick a lot).
- 6Add rice and cook 3 to 4 minutes, stirring and scraping pan bottom constantly (the rice should crackle and pop and look similar to puffed rice cereal). Add stock and stir until any mixture sticking to pan bottom comes loose; cook about 4 minutes over high heat, stirring occasionally.
- 7Then stir in ground (or chopped fine) chicken livers (or your subbed ingredient), cover pan and turn heat to low; cook about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and leave covered until rice is tender, about 10 minutes. (The rice is finished this way so as not to overcook livers and to preserve their delicate flavor) Remove bay leaves and serve immediately.
- 8For liver haters, substitute ground beef or chicken. Still tastes good, but it's not authentic Creole.
Browse Our Top Cajun Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cajun Dirty Rice
Serving Size: 1 (111 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 233.2
- Calories from Fat 90
- Total Fat 10.0 g
- Saturated Fat 4.3 g
- Cholesterol 124.2 mg
- Sodium 40.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 1.0 g
- Protein 12.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: