Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 hrs
Thought I'd try a variation on good old beef stew. I used Schwartz Blackened Cajun Seasoning but I'm sure any other cajun spices would do. I used casserole steak (chuck steak or braising steak) - use your own preferred joint. I also shredded my veg using a food processor as my SO doesn't like chunks of carrot. Herb Dumplings added a nice dimension to the dish. I'd suggest saffron rice as a good partner for this dish.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs steak
- 8 tablespoons cajun seasoning
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 large carrots
- 1 large celery rib
- 1 medium onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pint beef stock
- 4 -6 tablespoons creme fraiche or 4 -6 tablespoons sour cream
- 4 fresh flat-leaf parsley sprigs
- Place about 8 tablespoons of seasoning in a large plastic bag.
- Cut the steak into 1 inch cubes and place in the bag with the seasoning. Shake well.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a frying pan and brown the steak over a high heat.
- Thinly slice celery, carrots and onions and place in crock pot.
- Add browned steak to crock pot.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour stock over meat and stir all ingredients together.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Optionally add dumplings for 15 minutes at end.
- Garnish with a tablespoon of sour cream or creme fraiche and s sprig of parsley.