Prep 40 mins
Cook 15 mins
Two cuisines 1 dish and an Indian adaptation. So would you like to try it. Make it like the original or use my additions. From a Readers Digest Cookbook.
- 4 thick cod steaks (175 g , I use kingfish)
- 20 whole black peppercorns
- 10 allspice berries (I use a combo of nutmeg, cinnamon and cloves)
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed
- 2 dried red chilies
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ginger paste (my addition)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric (my addition)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed (this I add - not in the original recipe)
- 2 tablespoons virgin olive oil
- 25 g unsalted butter
- 1 lime, juice of
- lime wedge (to garnish)
- coriander sprig (to garnish)
- Crush the pepper, allspice, coriander, cumin, red chillies and garlic in a mortar with pestle.
- Marinate the steaks in this mix and gingerpaste,turmeric and salt for atleast 30 mins.
- Heat the oil and butter in a pan and add the cod to the pan cooking over moderate heat for 5 minutes each side.
- Until the fish is cooked.
- Take the fish out and keep warm in a warm oven or a warm platter covered.
- Add lime juice and stir till bubbling.
- Pour this sauce over the fish and garnish with lime wedges and coriander sprigs.
- Serve hot.
Well, I have to agree with Angela....she's never let me down in the past. This dish was FANTASTIC!!! Fay, your blend of spices to coat the fish was SUPERB. It has alot of "hidden" heat to it, which was a BIG hit in our house!! I did use half the amount of butter called for, but it still had tons flavor and tasty sauce...especially with the lime juice added at the end.
Review # 2, in 2 days! I made this last night (review below) and made it again for lunch today! It is just TOO good! YUM! Thanks for this recipe!! Took a photo this time ;) OH MY GOSH! Fay! This fish is FABULOUS!!! The lime juice really makes this fish. The heat from the red chilies, and the wonderful flavors from the allspice; everything just melds so well together. The sauce really makes this fish. I cannot begin to explain how flavorful and delicious this fish is! Not only does it taste spectacular, it even looks scrumptious! Thank you for this recipe. We will be having this time and time again. Unfortunately, we had a late dinner tonight and the digital camera was in my parents room where they were sound asleep, so I couldnt take a photo :( I will make it again very soon and snap a shot of this delicious fish! It simply melts in your mouth! :D