Recipe by Girl from India
Two cuisines 1 dish and an Indian adaptation. So would you like to try it. Make it like the original or use my additions. From a Readers Digest Cookbook.
Top Review by Kozmic Blues
Well, I have to agree with Angela....she's never let me down in the past. This dish was FANTASTIC!!! Fay, your blend of spices to coat the fish was SUPERB. It has alot of "hidden" heat to it, which was a BIG hit in our house!! I did use half the amount of butter called for, but it still had tons flavor and tasty sauce...especially with the lime juice added at the end.
- 4 thick cod steaks (175 g , I use kingfish)
- 20 whole black peppercorns
- 10 allspice berries (I use a combo of nutmeg, cinnamon and cloves)
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed
- 2 dried red chilies
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ginger paste (my addition)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric (my addition)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed (this I add - not in the original recipe)
- 2 tablespoons virgin olive oil
- 25 g unsalted butter
- 1 lime, juice of
- lime wedge (to garnish)
- coriander sprig (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Crush the pepper, allspice, coriander, cumin, red chillies and garlic in a mortar with pestle.
- Marinate the steaks in this mix and gingerpaste,turmeric and salt for atleast 30 mins.
- Heat the oil and butter in a pan and add the cod to the pan cooking over moderate heat for 5 minutes each side.
- Until the fish is cooked.
- Take the fish out and keep warm in a warm oven or a warm platter covered.
- Add lime juice and stir till bubbling.
- Pour this sauce over the fish and garnish with lime wedges and coriander sprigs.
- Serve hot.