- 2 lbs cauliflower, washed and broken into flowerets (9 cups) or 2 lbs frozen cauliflower florets
- 2 slices bread
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine, melted
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- pepper, to taste
- cayenne pepper, to taste
- 3⁄4 lb American cheese or 3⁄4 lb mild cheddar cheese, sliced thin
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large, uncovered pot of boiling salted water, cook cauliflower 16 minutes (follow package directions if using frozen cauliflower); drain well.
- Cut crusts off bread and soak in milk for 10 minutes.
- Add melted butter, onions, garlic, and celery.
- Season to taste and cook over medium heat until mixture forms a thick cream gravy.
- Cover cauliflower with cream gravy.
- Cover with cheese slices and bake in oven at 350°F until cheese melts.