Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Great way to serve cauliflower. Cauliflower in a white cream sauce with melted cheese on top.
- 2 lbs cauliflower, washed and broken into flowerets (9 cups) or 2 lbs frozen cauliflower florets
- 2 slices bread
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine, melted
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- pepper, to taste
- cayenne pepper, to taste
- 3⁄4 lb American cheese or 3⁄4 lb mild cheddar cheese, sliced thin
- In a large, uncovered pot of boiling salted water, cook cauliflower 16 minutes (follow package directions if using frozen cauliflower); drain well.
- Cut crusts off bread and soak in milk for 10 minutes.
- Add melted butter, onions, garlic, and celery.
- Season to taste and cook over medium heat until mixture forms a thick cream gravy.
- Cover cauliflower with cream gravy.
- Cover with cheese slices and bake in oven at 350°F until cheese melts.
ABC Cookbook Tag: Delish!! What a decadent way to serve cauliflower! YUM
This recipe goes in my Outstanding book.I followed your recipe but made it in the microwave for 2.I started by cooking the butter, onion,celery and garlic for 2 minutes; set aside. I then Put 1 sl of bread and 1 cup of milk in microwave for 2 minutes.I blended with my Hand blender; I added remaining ingredients 1 Tblsp parmesan to thicknen. I microwaved another 2 minutes;and spooned the sauce over the cooked cauliflower in individual dishes; topped with a some cheese and voilÃ .I made this for WT3 and it's a keeper.Thanks for posting. Rita
Outstanding, littleturtle! I had lots of cauliflower come into the garden this week, so I turned to the recipe. The white sauce is to "faint" for~and the aroma wafting from the oven is the most wonderful aroma. I would say that even a cauliflower "hater" would love this. I followed this exactly, (I did however; add a bit of zucchini too) all the seasonings were right on. The gravy thickened up nicely and the taste, well creamy. Added a sliced of summer tomato to the top while baking. Very special recipe! Thanks~Made for *ZWT3