Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is an adaption of a South Beach recipe. The features that make it a healthier and lower carb recipe are still in place, but I've added a Cajun twist to it. The result is a delicious crawfish patty with a tasty, spicy red pepper sauce. The original recipe calls for crab and it is just as tasty.
Red Pepper Sauce
- 2 roasted red peppers (the variety that comes in a jar)
- 1⁄2 cup fat-free mayonnaise
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt
Crawfish or Crab Cakes
- 3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons ground walnuts
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons fat-free mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cajun seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crab boil seasoning (like Old Bay)
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed celery seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1 lb crawfish meat or 1 lb crabmeat
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- Red Pepper Sauce: Puree roasted red peppers in a blender, then add mayonnaise and spices.
- Set aside and refrigerate.
- Crawfish Cakes: Heat 1 teaspoons olive oil in sauté pan, sauté onion and celery until soft.
- Place in a large mixing bowl.
- Mix remaining ingredients except bread crumbs.
- Place half of seafood mixture in a blender or processor and puree and return to mixing bowl and stir together.
- Place bread crumbs evenly on a cookie sheet.
- Form about 8 patties and coat them with bread crumbs.
- Heat remaining 2 teaspoons of olive oil in a pan and cook patties in batches.
- Cook for about 2-3 minutes each side until brown and crisp on outside.
- Serve with red pepper sauce.
I made these as crab cakes for a Mardi Gras party. They are a bit time consuming to make, but well worth it. The Red Pepper Sauce with the crab cakes made them even better.
Thanks for the great dinner Dawn!!! Very easy but very elegant at the same time. Served over a bed of mixed greens this was a great light summer meal. Looked very pretty too. I will make this again very soon! Because I read C in PA review about the filler, I used 2 lbs of crawfish, but followed the recipe otherwise. This worked out awesome!!! My dh and I were very happy. It was quick enough for our weeknight dinner, but it made a nice change from our usual routine. The sauce is fantastic (I did use 1/4 cup mayo and 1/4 cup sour cream though, and added 1 chopped garlic clove too). Thank you again for submitting.
I used crawfish that I found frozen at the local grocery. The cakes were very delicious and easy to cook. Tedious to put together though. My friends loved them. Will make again.