Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is an adaption of a South Beach recipe. The features that make it a healthier and lower carb recipe are still in place, but I've added a Cajun twist to it. The result is a delicious crawfish patty with a tasty, spicy red pepper sauce. The original recipe calls for crab and it is just as tasty.
Red Pepper Sauce
- 2 roasted red peppers (the variety that comes in a jar)
- 1⁄2 cup fat-free mayonnaise
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt
Crawfish or Crab Cakes
- 3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons ground walnuts
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons fat-free mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cajun seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crab boil seasoning (like Old Bay)
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed celery seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1 lb crawfish meat or 1 lb crabmeat
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- Red Pepper Sauce: Puree roasted red peppers in a blender, then add mayonnaise and spices.
- Set aside and refrigerate.
- Crawfish Cakes: Heat 1 teaspoons olive oil in sauté pan, sauté onion and celery until soft.
- Place in a large mixing bowl.
- Mix remaining ingredients except bread crumbs.
- Place half of seafood mixture in a blender or processor and puree and return to mixing bowl and stir together.
- Place bread crumbs evenly on a cookie sheet.
- Form about 8 patties and coat them with bread crumbs.
- Heat remaining 2 teaspoons of olive oil in a pan and cook patties in batches.
- Cook for about 2-3 minutes each side until brown and crisp on outside.
- Serve with red pepper sauce.