We made this for a Mardi Gras party and it went over very well. Served it with corn bread and dirty rice.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2In a medium bowl, whisk 1/2 cup of the flour with the cornmeal, cajun spice and 1/2 tsp salt.
- 3Put the remaining 1 cup flour, buttermilk, and the cornmeal mixture respectively in 3 shallow dishes.
- 4Season the buttermilk with hot sauce, to taste.
- 5Pound each breast to equal thickness with flat side of cook's knife or other flat surface.
- 6Pat the chicken breasts dry and season with salt.
- 7Lightly coat each breast in flour and shake off any excess.
- 8Dip each breast into buttermilk to coat and remove, shaking so excess buttermilk drips back into the bowl.
- 9Dredge the chicken in the cornmeal mixture, shaking off any excess coating.
- 10Lay the chicken on a piece of wax paper.
- 11Heat a large cast iron skillet (12 inches in diameter) over medium heat with about 1/2 inch of oil.
- 12Lay 2 chicken breasts smooth side down in the pan and cook, until golden brown.
- 13Turn over and cook until opposite side is equally browned.
- 14Repeat with remaining chicken.
- 15Place all chicken breasts on a rack over a baking pan and bake until firm to the touch, about 6-8 minutes.
- 16Season with salt to taste.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cajun Cornmeal Crusted Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (509 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 665.4
- Calories from Fat 203
- Total Fat 22.6 g
- Saturated Fat 3.6 g
- Cholesterol 102.3 mg
- Sodium 452.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 63.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 4.7 g
- Protein 49.6 g