Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
We made this for a Mardi Gras party and it went over very well. Served it with corn bread and dirty rice.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk 1/2 cup of the flour with the cornmeal, cajun spice and 1/2 tsp salt.
- Put the remaining 1 cup flour, buttermilk, and the cornmeal mixture respectively in 3 shallow dishes.
- Season the buttermilk with hot sauce, to taste.
- Pound each breast to equal thickness with flat side of cook's knife or other flat surface.
- Pat the chicken breasts dry and season with salt.
- Lightly coat each breast in flour and shake off any excess.
- Dip each breast into buttermilk to coat and remove, shaking so excess buttermilk drips back into the bowl.
- Dredge the chicken in the cornmeal mixture, shaking off any excess coating.
- Lay the chicken on a piece of wax paper.
- Heat a large cast iron skillet (12 inches in diameter) over medium heat with about 1/2 inch of oil.
- Lay 2 chicken breasts smooth side down in the pan and cook, until golden brown.
- Turn over and cook until opposite side is equally browned.
- Repeat with remaining chicken.
- Place all chicken breasts on a rack over a baking pan and bake until firm to the touch, about 6-8 minutes.
- Season with salt to taste.