Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
This recipe is from marthawhite.com TIPS *To substitute for buttermilk, use 2 1/4 teaspoons vinegar or lemon juice plus milk to make 3/4 cup.
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 1 lb andouille sausages or 1 lb smoked sausage, sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup self-rising cornmeal, mix
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk (*)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 (8 1/2 ounce) can cream-style corn
- 4 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in 10-inch cast iron or ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat until hot.
- Add sausage, onion and bell pepper; cook until sausage is browned and vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.
- In large bowl, combine corn meal mix, buttermilk, eggs and remaining 3 tablespoons oil; blend well.
- Add corn, cheese and cooked sausage mixture.
- Wipe skillet clean with paper towel; spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Pour batter into skillet.
- Bake at 400 degrees F. for 25 to 35 minutes or until golden brown and set.