Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
I used to work at an Old Country Buffet restaurant and this is my version of their Corn Chowder. The cheez whiz really is the secret ingredient. This recipe makes a lot of soup, but I have never been able to make less.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 -1 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup Cheez Whiz
- 4 -6 par cooked cubed potatoes (reserve 1 cup of potato water)
- 2 cups cubed cooked ham
- 1 (14 ounce) can canned corn niblets, with liquid
- 2 (14 ounce) cans creamed corn
- 4 cups milk
- 1⁄2 lb tubetti or 1⁄2 lb elbow macaroni
- cajun spices
- Melt the butter in the bottom of at least a 12 quart stock pot.
- Add onion and cook until translucent.
- Add flour to make a roux and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add chicken stock, mix until smooth.
- Add cheez whiz, stir until smooth.
- Add the potatoes, potato water, ham, both kinds of corn, the milk and the raw macaroni.
- Be sure to stir so that the noodles don't stick to the bottom and burn.
- When noodles are cooked and soup is nice and thick, (add more milk or chicken stock if it thickens too much) add cajun spices to your liking.
This was good and easy to make. I wasn't sure about potatoes and macaroni together but it isn't bad. I used creole spice because that's what I had on hand. Everyone just added more if they wanted it. Thanks.