Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This creamy, Cajun crab soup is a great addition to your recipe collection!
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 large celery, minced
- cajun seasoning
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen corn kernels
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon liquid shrimp and crab boil seasoning
- 1 lb fresh lump crabmeat
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- salt and black pepper
- additional chopped green onion
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat; then gradually whisk in the flour. Cook 5 to 7 minutes, whisking constantly, until a golden roux forms; set aside.
- Heat the oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Combine the onion, garlic, and celery and cook 1 minute. Add the Cajun seasoning to taste. Stir in the broth, corn, and bay leaf. Bring to a simmer, then pour in the milk, cream, and liquid crab boil. When the mixture begins to simmer, reduce heat to low and simmer 7 minutes. Stir in the roux, 1 tablespoon at a time, blending thoroughly. Continue to cook, on low heat, whisking until mixture thickens. Stir in crabmeat, green onions, and Worcestershire sauce. Simmer 6 to 8 minutes more. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Good Chowder! It took me longer than 20 minutes to prep and 30 minutes to cook. I used 1 teaspoon of Cajun Seasoning Mix. I also used Old Bay for the seasoning for the crab boil seasoning. I love crab but I felt it overpowered the rest of the chowder. Next time I will increase the corn to 1 3/4 cups or 2 cups and increase the cajun seasoning 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 teaspoons. Made for ZWT9 for the Gourment Goddesses July 2013.