Recipe by Sarah Close
This is one of my favorite dishes. It may take a while to cook but it is worth it. I gave small portions as part of my christmas gifts two years ago. You can get the shrimp from www.BigEasySeafood.com.
- 5 medium mirlitons (vegetable pears)
- 3 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 small white onion, chopped fine
- 1⁄2 cup chopped shallot
- 1 lb peeled and deveined shrimp
- 1 cup wet white bread, squeezed
- garlic salt
- salt and pepper
- Tabasco sauce
- seasoned bread crumbs
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil mirlitons until fork tender (about 20 minutes).
- Saute bacon, chopped seasonings and shrimp until shrimp are pink.
- Add wet bread, garlic salt, salt and pepper to taste and Tabasco sauce.
- Cook over medium heat until dressing browns a little.
- Peel mirlitons, remove center seed, and mash.
- Add mashed mirliton to skillet.
- Add eggs slowly while stirring.
- Add 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs.
- Put dressing in buttered casserole.
- Sprinkle with crumbs, dot with butter and bake at 350 degrees until heated through.