Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Delicious with or without beans. If made without beans, the chili can be served over elbow noodles for a delicious version of chili-mac. Don't forget to top with shredded cheese. What makes this chili different is the first step. The roux base gives the chili body and a saucy texture. I like that--body and sauciness!
- 2 lbs quality ground beef
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil, can substitute bacon drippings
- 2 tablespoons flour, heaping
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons cumin powder
- 1 -2 tablespoon sugar, to taste
- cayenne pepper
- 16 ounces red kidney beans (optional)
- sliced green onion (optional)
- grated cheddar cheese (optional)
- Make brown roux (careful not to burn) with oil and flour, stirring constantly.
- Add onion, bell pepper, and garlic. Saute about 3 minutes.
- Add ground beef and cook until browned, breaking up chunks.
- Add tomato paste, chili powder, cumin powder, sugar, salt and cayenne pepper topping with about 1 - 2 cup water, depending on desired consistancy.
- Stir to combine and simmer half covered for 20 - 25 minutes, stirring occasionally and checking the level of liquid.
- If adding the optional can red kidney beans, add this 5 to 10 minutes prior to the end of cook time.
- Top individual servings with cheddar cheese and sprinkle with sliced green onions.
I tried your recipe and LOVED it! In fact I'm aking it again tonight. I added more liquid but othrwise left it alone and it was even better the next day. THANK YOU for such a wonderful, AND versatile Chili recipe
One of my favorites, Chili! Yum Yum! This is great chili! I used yellow and red bell peppers along with the green, since I had them. I also used my recipe forhttp://www.recipezaar.com/Chili-Powder-Blend-221230, and omitted the cumin and chili powder. A very nice chili, full of flavor! Another keeper Andi, thanks for sharing. Made for KK's forum Go For the Green!
This was a wonderful dish on a chilly night. Served with a salad and cornbread. Made for 123 Hits.