Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
A bit spicy, but worth it. I can't remember what cookbook I found this in but my ex used to request it on a regular basis. It calls for a skillet that can be baked, but I used an 8x8 baking dish.
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1 (15 ounce) can chili beans, in sauce
- 2 tablespoons cajun seasoning, divided
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into rings
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into rings
- 3⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 2 (8 1/2 ounce) packages corn muffin mix
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3 eggs
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In large skillet, cook and stir ground turkey over medium heat 8-10 minutes or until no longer pink; drain.
- In medium bowl, combine turkey, chili beans, 1 Tbsp seasoning, and garlic; set aside.
- Slice 6 rings from each bell pepper for a total of 12 rings. Arrange bell pepper rings in an overlapping circular pattern on the bottom of deep skillet.
- Chop onion; sprinkle over bell pepper.
- Carefully spoon turkey mixture over vegetables in skillet.
- In medium bowl, combine muffin mixes, remaining seasoning mix and half of the cheese; mix well.
- Add water and eggs; mix well and pour over turkey mixture.
- Bake uncovered 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove skillet from oven. Loosen edges of cornbread. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.