Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a quick and easy weeknight meal. The chicken is cooked in one skillet and another is used to cook the collard greens, which are spiked with black eyed peas.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 24 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoons blackening seasoning or 2 teaspoons cajun seasoning
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 bunch collard greens, stems discarded and leaves cut into strips (about 10 cups)
- 1 (15 ounce) can black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- In a skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat; season the chicken with the blackening seasoning or Cajun seasoning, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Cook until browned and cooked through, about 6 to 7 minutes per side; transfer to serving plates.
- Meanwhile, heat a second skillet, over medium high heat with 3 tablespoons oil; add garlic, red pepper, cook, tossing frequently, until softened about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the collards, 3/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and cook, tossing, until collards are just tender, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Stir in black eyed peas and cook until heated through, 1 or 2 minutes more.