Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Flamin' hot and savory wings. You can add less or more hot stuff as you like. The recipe is for the oven but I'm going to try barbecuing these...
- 4 lbs chicken wings
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup minced onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup chili sauce
- 1⁄2 cup liquid honey
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 tablespoon horseradish
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke (optional)
- Remove wing tips and excess skin and fat from wings, place in large bowl.
- In saucepan, heat oil over medium heat, cook onion and garlic for 3 minutes or till softened. Stir in chili sauce, honey, vinegar, hot pepper sauce, horseradish, liquid smoke (if using), cayenne, cloves and chili powder. Cook for 5 minutes or till bubbly. Let cool.
- Pour sauce over wings, turning to coat. Cover and marinate in fridge 12 - 24 hours.
- Reserving sauce in a small saucepan, arrange wings in shallow foil lined baking sheet. Bake at 400 for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring sauce to boil, boil for 1 minute, reserve 3/4 cup for dipping. Brush half of the remaining sauce over wings, continue baking, brushing with remaining sauce halfway through, for another 15 minutes or till no longer pink inside.
- Broil the wings 6 inches from heat for about 4 minutes or till dark golden.
- Serve with reserved sauce.
Firstly, i did one major thing differently- seeing as i dont eat meat, i used TVP to shape my own 'Chicken' wings. appart from that everything i did was the same, and it was great-my mum loved it