1/3 Photos of Cajun Chicken Stew
1 hr 15 mins
A simple chicken stew from Cajun Country. Momma made this once a week. Real Cajun food.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4-1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 2 lbs chicken, cut,rinsed,and dried
- 2 cups chicken stock or 1 can low sodium chicken broth
- 1 bunch parsley
- black pepper
- red pepper
- olive oil (optional - not for roux)
- 1Season the chicken with salt and pepper to taste (The chicken can be marinated in olive oil and black pepper overnight. Add salt last minute if marinated) Make a dark roux- In a heavy iron skillet (prefer cast-iron), heat the vegetable oil over medium heat.
- 2Add the flour.
- 3With a wooden spoon, stir constantly and thouroughly, until the flour mixture reached an even chocolate color, about 15 minutes (black flecks means it's burned and will be bitter. Start over).
- 4Carefully add the onions, celery and Bell pepper.
- 5Stir constantly for 60 seconds.
- 6Add Garlic, stir to mix, and add the chicken.
- 7Stir to coat the chicken with the roux mixture.
- 8CAREFULLY and slowly, add the chicken stock.
- 9Chicken mixture can be transferred to a larger pot at this point. A Dutch oven is recommended.
- 10Cover the chicken with water, bring to a boil.
- 11Place the lid on the pot, reduce heat and simmer for 45-50 minutes.
- 12Stir occasionally, Sauce should be thickened.
- 13Just before serving, add chopped parsley to taste, season with salt and red pepper to taste.
- 14Serve over hot white rice.
- 15Hint: For saving leftovers, store the rice and the sauce in seperate containers.
- 16This prevents the rice from getting soggy.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cajun Chicken Stew
Serving Size: 1 (250 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 419.2
- Calories from Fat 285
- Total Fat 31.7 g
- Saturated Fat 5.8 g
- Cholesterol 53.5 mg
- Sodium 144.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 2.1 g
- Protein 16.3 g