I have not tried this recipe, but am posting here for safe keeping and in the hopes someone on Zaar will try it and enjoy it. This was in a recent issue of Woman's Day magazine. My plan is to use red bell pepper and maybe add some red pepper flakes for some kick. I listed the chicken parts separately, but ideally the chicken should just equal 1 1/4 lb. If you try it, I hope you enjoy it!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 chicken drumsticks
- 2 chicken thighs
- 1 onion, large
- 1 pepper, large, cut into thin strips
- 4 ounces sausage, andouille or 4 ounces other smoked sausage, slice 1/4 inch thick
- 1/2 cup celery, sliced
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup rice, uncooked
- 1/4 teaspoon cajun seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme, dried
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces shrimp, large, raw, peeled
- 1 cup okra, frozen
- 1Use a large non-stick skillet, spray with nonstick spray.
- 2Heat over medium-high heat.
- 3Add chicken and cook 5 minutes or until browned, turning once.
- 4Add sausage, onion, pepper and celery, saute for 3 minutes or until sausage is browned.
- 5Stir in water, rice and seasonings, bring to a boil.
- 6Cover and simmer 15 minutes, until chicken and rice are almost tender.
- 7Stir in shrimp and okra, cover and cook for 5 minutes, stirring 1-2 times, until rice and okra are tender.
- 8Serve with your favorite hot sauce.
Browse Our Top Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cajun Chicken and Shrimp
Serving Size: 1 (407 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 501.3
- Calories from Fat 174
- Total Fat 19.4 g
- Saturated Fat 5.9 g
- Cholesterol 195.8 mg
- Sodium 612.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 1.7 g
- Protein 34.4 g