This unusual and delicious recipe comes from "Quick & Delicious Cajun Cooking" by Johna Blinn.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs catfish fillets
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 ounces hot pepper sauce
- 1 1/2 cups strawberry preserves
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/4 cup seafood cocktail sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (or more to taste)
- 2 teaspoons horseradish
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup safflower oil, or other vegetable oil
- fresh strawberries, sliced
- 1 sprig parsley (or a bit of chopped basil)
- 1Place fillets in large shallow dish.
- 2Season fish with salt, black pepper and hot pepper sauce; cover and refrigerate 1 hour to marinate.
- 3When ready to cook the dish: in a small saucepan over low heat, combine the preserves, vinegar, soy sauce, cocktail sauce, garlic and horseradish; let simmer, stirring occasionally.
- 4In a shallow dish, combine the cornmeal and flour.
- 5Drain catfish and dredge in cornmeal mixture, coating on all sides.
- 6In a heavy skillet over medium high temperature, heat the oil; when it is hot, add the dredged catfish fillets and fry, browning both sides. Drain the cooked fillets well on paper towels; keep warm.
- 7Prepare to serve: get out the individual serving plates, then spoon 1/4 cup sauce on each and top with the catfish fillets.
- 8Garnish with sliced strawberries and parsley (or a bit of chopped basil). Serve and enjoy!
- 9This is an adopted recipe.
Browse Our Top Condiments, Etc. Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Condiments, Etc. Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cajun Catfish with Spicy Strawberry Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (474 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1025.6
- Calories from Fat 377
- Total Fat 41.9 g
- Saturated Fat 5.2 g
- Cholesterol 124.5 mg
- Sodium 905.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 119.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 58.8 g
- Protein 39.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
seafood cocktail sauce