Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
This unusual and delicious recipe comes from "Quick & Delicious Cajun Cooking" by Johna Blinn.
Make and share this Cajun Catfish with Spicy Strawberry Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- 2 lbs catfish fillets
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 ounces hot pepper sauce
- 1 1⁄2 cups strawberry preserves
- 1⁄2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup seafood cocktail sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (or more to taste)
- 2 teaspoons horseradish
- 3⁄4 cup cornmeal
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup safflower oil, or other vegetable oil
- fresh strawberries, sliced
- 1 sprig parsley (or a bit of chopped basil)
- Place fillets in large shallow dish.
- Season fish with salt, black pepper and hot pepper sauce; cover and refrigerate 1 hour to marinate.
- When ready to cook the dish: in a small saucepan over low heat, combine the preserves, vinegar, soy sauce, cocktail sauce, garlic and horseradish; let simmer, stirring occasionally.
- In a shallow dish, combine the cornmeal and flour.
- Drain catfish and dredge in cornmeal mixture, coating on all sides.
- In a heavy skillet over medium high temperature, heat the oil; when it is hot, add the dredged catfish fillets and fry, browning both sides. Drain the cooked fillets well on paper towels; keep warm.
- Prepare to serve: get out the individual serving plates, then spoon 1/4 cup sauce on each and top with the catfish fillets.
- Garnish with sliced strawberries and parsley (or a bit of chopped basil). Serve and enjoy!
- This is an adopted recipe.
This sounds unusual, but it's really delicious. My only problem is, I haven't figured out anything good to do with the leftover strawberry sauce!