Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
A little spin on cabbage. Its a spicy cheese topped dish. I get rave reviews from my family and friends every time I make it.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (10 ounce) candiced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 -6 drops hot pepper sauce
- 1 small head of cabbage, chopped
- 1 cup shredded colby cheese
- In a skillet, cook the beef, green pepper, onion and garlic until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Stir in the tomatoes, tomato sauce, rice and seasonings.
- Spread into an ungreased 13x9x2-inch baking dish.
- Top with the cabbage and cheese.
- Cover and bake at 350 degree for 65-75 minutes or until the rice is tender.
This wasn't bad. I don't know what I was expecting but it just didn't turn out to be quite what I thought. I have been eating it all up though. Added a bit more hot sauce for spice. Pretty much if you remove the cabbage it's exactly what I put in my stuffed peppers.
My husband who was not looking forward to eating this becuase of the cabbage, finished his plate and called it "pretty good". My son and I liked it and even my 1 1/2 year old ate all of hers. So what more can you ask for on a weeknight!
My DH loves this recipe!!! We got it from Taste Of Home Cookbook. We are in the process of moving to our new home and I packed the cookbooks (my DH wanted this dish and I could not remember the directions) just to get ahead for the move.