Recipe by Dr. Jenny
Made this yummy spicy salad for lunch today. DH and I liked it a lot. It's from the BistroKatie.com blog. Cook time includes cooling time for the bulgur.
- 1 cup bulgur, uncooked (or 3 cups cooked)
- 1⁄2 cup corn kernel (fresh or frozen)
- 1 (14 ounce) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄2 green pepper, diced small (about 1/2 cup diced)
- 2 stalks celery, diced small (about 1/2 cup diced)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped parsley
- 1 shallot, chopped small (about 1/3 cup chopped)
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cajun seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- generous amount fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil (or other neutral-tasting oil like grapeseed, sunflower or safflower)
Directions See How It's Made
- To cook the bulgur, boil 2 cups water. Add the bulgur, reduce the heat to low and cover. After 5 minutes, turn the heat off. Let the bulgur sit for 25 more minutes, covered, or until the bulgur has absorbed all the water. Fluff with a fork and let cool for 20 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the shallot, vinegar, Cajun spice blend, smoked paprika, salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Mix in the canola oil. Taste the dressing and adjust seasonings if desired.
- Bring 1/2 cup of water to a boil in a small pot and simmer the corn for about 3 minutes. Drain.
- Combine the bulgur and the corn in a large bowl with the kidney beans, green pepper, celery, and parsley. Pour the dressing on the bulgur mixture and mix well. Serve cold or at room temperature.