Dr. Jenny's Note:
Made this yummy spicy salad for lunch today. DH and I liked it a lot. It's from the BistroKatie.com blog. Cook time includes cooling time for the bulgur.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup bulgur, uncooked (or 3 cups cooked)
- 1/2 cup corn kernel (fresh or frozen)
- 1 (14 ounce) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 green pepper, diced small (about 1/2 cup diced)
- 2 stalks celery, diced small (about 1/2 cup diced)
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 1To cook the bulgur, boil 2 cups water. Add the bulgur, reduce the heat to low and cover. After 5 minutes, turn the heat off. Let the bulgur sit for 25 more minutes, covered, or until the bulgur has absorbed all the water. Fluff with a fork and let cool for 20 minutes.
- 2In a small bowl, combine the shallot, vinegar, Cajun spice blend, smoked paprika, salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Mix in the canola oil. Taste the dressing and adjust seasonings if desired.
- 3Bring 1/2 cup of water to a boil in a small pot and simmer the corn for about 3 minutes. Drain.
- 4Combine the bulgur and the corn in a large bowl with the kidney beans, green pepper, celery, and parsley. Pour the dressing on the bulgur mixture and mix well. Serve cold or at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cajun Bulgur Salad With Kidney Beans
Serving Size: 1 (317 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 479.3
- Calories from Fat 101
- Total Fat 11.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 429.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 80.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 20.8 g
- Sugars 1.7 g
- Protein 19.7 g