Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
Wonderful and light way to make cajun blackened chicken! I serve it with dirty rice and veggies. It is also excellent the next day cold with light mayo, lettuce, and tomato on pita bread! If you want to lower the heat, omit the cayenne! This chicken is delicious!
- Combine the oregano, spices (do not add thyme, that is for the end), and oil in a bowl, then rub over the chicken breasts to coat.
- Heat a large nonstick sauté pan over high heat for 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken, smooth side down.
- Pan fry for 2-3 minutes, until just beginning to blacken.
- Turn the chicken over, reduce heat, and cook for 3-6 minutes, until juices run clear.
- Sprinkle with a little salt and thyme just before serving.
Made this exactly as the recipe states. It was very moist, however it lacked the kick we were expecting. It was a little bland for our taste.
This did lack the "kick" I expected it to have. :-( My mouth was expecting a flaming burst of Cajun flavor...but didn't get it! I think add more Cayenne, and less Oregano, and it'd be good. Maybe buy some Cajun powder flavoring?? That worked for me.
We learned we don't like the taste of oregano. But otherwise it was very good. I will defintely make this again only omit the oregano. I did pound the chicken breast flat which made it good faster. It did not blacken well in the non-stick skillet, next time I will use cast iron.