Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
We developed these sandwiches after a local favorite hangout closed down- these sandwiches were our standard order every time we went in, and now we make them regularly at home. The chicken method and seasonings are from Aroostook's Blackened Chicken, with a few minor tweaks. She's right when she says turn off the smoke detector, and I agree with her recommendation of using a cast iron skillet. I ruined one of my good skillets making this the first time- it's now a dedicated blackened chicken skillet. But the cast iron works MUCH better! I usually end up doubling the seasonings, putting them in a shaker container to sprinkle generously over the chicken and veggies.
- 4 boneless chicken breasts, flattened to about 1/2 inch thick
- 1 cup butter, melted, divided
- 4 tablespoons hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika (I use smoked paprika)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 4 split kaiser rolls
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- tomatoes, slices dill pickle slices, if desired
- Let the chicken come to room temperature before using.
- .Preheat oven to 400 F, and heat your skillet over high heat until VERY hot.
- Brush a small amount of melted butter over the inside tops of Kaiser rolls and return to plastic bag to keep soft.
- Combine all seasoning ingredients.
- Combine 1/2 c melted butter with hot sauce, and coat the chicken pieces thoroughly.
- Roll chicken breasts in the seasoning and then place into the hot skillet to sear.
- Drizzle a tsp of butter on top of each piece, and cook until a good crust has formed on the bottom of the chicken.
- Flip chicken and finish cooking, then remove to a plate.
- When all chicken is all finished, toss sliced pepper and onion with any leftover seasoning, add with any remainder of butter to the skillet. Cook about 5 min, until peppers and onions soften a bit.
- Place chicken on kaiser rolls, top each with some peppers and onions, then a slice of provolone.
- Leave sandwiches open faced and bake until cheese is melted and Kaiser roll toasts lightly.
- Serve with tomato and pickle slices if desired.