Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
These fried bean patties make a great appetizer. They also could be made with black beans.
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can black-eyed peas, drained
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 2 tablespoons bell peppers, finely minced (red or green)
- 2 tablespoons onions, finely minced
- 1 dash ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 1 dash cayenne pepper, to taste
- Pureé black-eyed peas in a food processor, or use a potato masher.
- Add parsley, bell pepper, onion, ground pepper and thyme. Mix by hand until well combined.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat, and brush with a small amount of olive oil.
- Form the pea mixture into 10 balls, each the size of a well-rounded teaspoon. Flatten the balls between your hands and set four or five in the skillet. When brown flip gently and brown other side. Repeat with remaining cakes.
- Combine yogurt, tomato sauce and cayenne and serve with the warm cakes.