Prep 45 mins
Cook 0 mins
Just wait until you try these onion rings!!!! These are still wonderful without the Cajun seasoning too! Adjust the Cajun seasoning to taste. Use a sweet onion such as Vidalia or Spanish for this. If you don't have any Cajun seasoning handy you can use seasoned salt and 1/8-1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper.
- 3 large sweet onions, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch rings
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons cajun seasoning (or to taste)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup cornmeal
- 2 cups beer (use a light-coloured beer for this)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- oil (for frying)
- Place the onion rings in a large bowl of ice water; let stand for 35 minutes.
- Drain then place on paper towels; pat dry well.
- In a bowl combine flour with Cajun seasoning, baking powder, salt and cornmeal; mix to combine.
- Add in the beer and egg; stir until thoroughly blended and smooth; chill for 20 minutes.
- Dip the onion rings into the batter coating well on both sides.
- Heat 3-inches oil in a Dutch oven to 375 degrees.
- Drop the onion rings a few at a time into hot oil and fry until golden brown on both sides.
- Drain and serve immediately.