Prep 40 mins
Cook 50 mins
- 1 lb beef, ground
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 1⁄8 teaspoon red pepper, ground
- 1 teaspoon garlic-flavored vegetable oil or 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 4 crusty hamburger buns, split and lightly toasted
- 2 -4 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 teaspoons garlic-flavored vegetable oil or 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 large Spanish onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can cajun-style stewed tomatoes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- To make sauce: In large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat until hot. Add onion and salt; cook and stir over low heat 10 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and thyme; bring to a broil.
- Reduce heat; simmer 8 to 10 minutes or until sauce thickens slightly.
- Meanwhile shape ground beef into four 1/2-inch thick patties.
- Sprinkle both sides of patties with black pepper and red pepper; brush lightly with 1 teaspoon oil.
- Heat large heavy nonstick skillet over medium heat 5 minutes.
- Place patties in skillet; panbroil 10 to 12 minutes or until centers are no longer pink, turning once. Spoon approx.
- 1/2 of sauce onto bottom halves or rolls; top with patties.
- Spoon remaining sauce over patties; sprinkle with parsley.
- Close with roll tops.
- Serve immediately.
- Makes 4 servings (serving size: 1 sandwich). Tip: Mexican-style stewed tomatoes may be substituted for Cajun-style. To grill, place patties on grid over medium, ash-covered coals.
- Grill uncovered, 11 to 13 minutes or until centers are no longer pink, turning once.