Recipe by JanetB-KY
A slightly spicier take on the old fashioned baked beans. This is great for potluck as it makes a fairly large amount. Cook time mentioned here is based on if you use a crock pot.
- 4 (16 ounce) cans pork & beans
- 3⁄4 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb hot sausage
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3⁄4 cup molasses
- 1⁄4 cup barbecue sauce
- 8 -10 slices crisp bacon
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown ground beef and sausage in a large pan; remove from pan to a large baking dish or crock pot, drain all but one tablespoon or so of the grease and saute the onions in the remaining fat.
- Add the onions and the already cooked bacon to the other meats and mix well.
- Drain the liquid from the pork and beans and mix well with the meat/onion mixture; add all the seasonings, molasses and bbq sauce and mix well.
- If using a crock pot, cook on low for 3 to 6 hours depending on your crock pot.
- If cooking in the oven, cover and put into a 350 degree oven until hot and bubbling about 45 minutes; uncover for the last 15 minutes of cooking to crisp the top a little bit.