Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
this was a favorite of my mom's. good enough for a complete meal!
- 1 lb ground chuck, crumbled
- 1 lb pork sausage, crumbled,i like hot but mild is ok (optional)
- 1 (12 ounce) package bacon, cut into small pieces (before cooking--partially freeze the bacon it is easier to cut up into small pieces)
- 1 medium onion, chopped coarse
- 8 -16 ounces mild cheddar cheese or 8 -16 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated (depending how cheesy you like it)
- 3 (16 ounce) cans pork and beans
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1 tablespoon catsup
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- brown bacon in large skillet.
- -addonion before totally brown to saute' it.
- then add sausage and ground chuck.
- brown all the meat.
- drain all grease off.
- add pork n beans and all other ingredients (EXCEPT CHEESE) and cook on low until beans are cooked down.
- add cheese right before serving.
- you may keep the beans in a crock pot to keep them hot.
- great to take to cookouts or church dinners as they keep really well and taste great.
Stunning! The aroma alone makes the mouth water while it is cooking. Absolutely delicious, not at all like the sweet or barbecue sauce baked beans I’m use to eating. I used my favorite pork sausage, mild, made by the Jordan Sausage Company. The sausage is very important in this dish because that is where most of the flavor comes from, so choose your favorite. However the sausage flavor is not overwhelming. I will definitely fix this again but next time with my favorite Italian sausage, and the next with Chorizo. I served it with grilled rib eye steaks marinated in Melt in Your Mouth Steak “Melt in your mouth steak” by Chance777, cole slaw, and Texas toast. My DH ate two bowls, total 2 cups, and wants the leftovers tomorrow in a sourdough bread bowl with a side salad. I guess I won’t be freezing this one after all. Thanks elle watson for this one, definitely a keeper!! I can’t wait to take this to my next potluck!