Recipe by Derf
A wonderful hearty warming soup for a cold winter day.
Top Review by SusieQusie
Ca c'est bon and could not have been simpler! Put it all in the pot and walk away. In all these years of cooking bean soup and beef stew separately, I never thought to cook them together. I had no luck in finding 18 bean soup mix; my choices were 15 or 16. Since none of the labels specified what those 15 or 16 were, the missing beans will forever remain a mystery. ;-) Since my 16 bean soup mix came with a Cajun seasoning packet, I threw it in the pot along with 2 tsp more of my favorite blend. When the meat and beans were tender, I tasted for seasoning and found that it needed a whole lot more of _something_ to reach respectable Cajun status. In went some chopped onions, red pepper flakes and lots more Cajun seasoning. I thought it was divine but DH, that heathen, added Tabasco sauce to his bowl. Thanks for sharing your recipe!
- 1 (14 ounce) package dry 18 bean soup mix
- 1⁄2 cup dried lentils
- 8 cups water
- 2 cups nonfat beef broth
- 1 lb stewing beef
- 3 teaspoons cajun seasoning
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash and pick over the dry soup mix; set aside and cut the stew beef into small cubes; set aside.
- Add water and beef broth to soup pot; bring to a boil.
- Add the soup mix, lentils, stew beef, cajun spice mix and salt to the broth; reduce heat to simmer.
- Simmer soup for 3.5 hours stirring once in a while.