Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs 30 mins
A wonderful hearty warming soup for a cold winter day.
Make and share this Cajun 18 Bean With Beef Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 1 (14 ounce) package dry 18 bean soup mix
- 1⁄2 cup dried lentils
- 8 cups water
- 2 cups nonfat beef broth
- 1 lb stewing beef
- 3 teaspoons cajun seasoning
- Wash and pick over the dry soup mix; set aside and cut the stew beef into small cubes; set aside.
- Add water and beef broth to soup pot; bring to a boil.
- Add the soup mix, lentils, stew beef, cajun spice mix and salt to the broth; reduce heat to simmer.
- Simmer soup for 3.5 hours stirring once in a while.
Ca c'est bon and could not have been simpler! Put it all in the pot and walk away. In all these years of cooking bean soup and beef stew separately, I never thought to cook them together. I had no luck in finding 18 bean soup mix; my choices were 15 or 16. Since none of the labels specified what those 15 or 16 were, the missing beans will forever remain a mystery. ;-) Since my 16 bean soup mix came with a Cajun seasoning packet, I threw it in the pot along with 2 tsp more of my favorite blend. When the meat and beans were tender, I tasted for seasoning and found that it needed a whole lot more of _something_ to reach respectable Cajun status. In went some chopped onions, red pepper flakes and lots more Cajun seasoning. I thought it was divine but DH, that heathen, added Tabasco sauce to his bowl. Thanks for sharing your recipe!