My mom used to make these for me, and me for my daughter--now when she comes home I get her to make a batch for me! Simple, satisfying, and they smell great when they're cooking!
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Beat butter in large mixing bowl till soft.
- Add sugars gradually to butter, blending till creamy.
- Beat in egg, peanut butter, salt, and baking soda, till well combined.
- Add flour to the batter, mixing well, then vanilla.
- If using, add the chocolate chunks at this point. Batter will be stiff.
- Roll dough into small balls and place on greased cookie sheet.
- With the tines of a fork, press 'tic-tac-toe' design into cookies. These don't spread too much, so you'll be flattening them to about 1/2-inch high.
- If you used chocolate chunks, the pattern won't be perfect--that's fine!
- Bake about 15 minutes, till golden brown.
- Remove carefully while still warm, and let cool on wire rack.
I made these cookies to send to some special college kids in a care package. They were perfect! They came and held together beautifully and tasted absolutly divine!! They are super easy but don't taste it! I got 26 nice size cookies. Thanks for posting Michele!!!