Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
A savory, sesame-soy flavored spinach stir-fry. This can be served as a course on its own, but is much more tasty as a filling for steamed buns. Herbs, greens tofu, and mushroom is one of the most common fillings found in street stall, aside from the ubiquitous rou bao (pork filled buns). Since we don't have access to some of the wonderful fresh herbs here, I substituted spinach for them and went heavier on sesame and soy flavors.
- 1⁄4 large onion, diced
- 0.25 (1/4 lb) package firm tofu, frozen, defrosted, and cubed
- 2 -3 cups fresh spinach leaves, chopped
- 96 small mushrooms, diced
- 2 -3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 -3 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- Heat oil in a wok over high heat.
- Add onions, garlic, and a splash of the sesame oil and soy sauce.
- Stir fry for 1 – 3 minutes to bring out flavor.
- Add tofu and stir fry until golden. If cubes are too large, break them during frying.
- Add mushrooms and another splash of sesame oil and soy sauce. Stir fry for 3 – 5 minutes.
- Add remaining sesame oil, soy sauce, and the vinegar.
- Add the spinach immediately.
- Stir fry until spinach is well wilted, 4 – 10 minutes.
This is a really good vegetarian filling for steamed buns. Part way though the recipe I decided I wanted more of a sweeter filling so I skipped the vinegar and added about 1/4 cup or so of oyster sauce. I also added about 3/4 tsp of ground ginger and 1/4 tsp of black pepper and some garlic.This will make a lot of steamed buns especially if you use the entire pound of tofu like I did. I really liked this recipe and will be making it often. Thanks for the recipe.